WorshipJunky - Recipes
Wednesday, December 22, 2004
 
Flavors of Styria, Austria - Zwiebelrostbraten
On Wolfgang Puck this morning he made Zwiebelrostbraten. First he was doing Flavors of Styria and he went there and talked to a cook. I liked how that cook made it better. Since I don't have the recipe for that, I'll just make it up here...

He had pickled pumpkin (yeah, no idea) and pumpkin oil (may be able to get it online somewhere).

Cook roast, carrots, celery and potatoes in a stock for 2 hours. (You could do this in a slow cooker all day). The roast was about 3 inches in diameter.

Remove roast and cube vegtables.

Slice roast in about 1/2 inch slices. Coat one side in mustard (stone ground, etc.) and flour. (Flour, salt, pepper, chopped parsley). Sautee for about 2 minutes on the flour side, then flip and sautee for another two minutes.

Plate some of the cubed veggies, about 3 or 4 slices of the beef. Drizzle with pumpkin oil and roasted pumpkin seeds.

This looked really good. Wolfgang made it with steaks and was a little more fancy. I think the "country" version looked better. I might try it, adding in some beets and parsnips (or something like that) and cubing them up as well. Actually Wolfgang also used balsamic vinegar. I think I'll follow his recipe, but instead of steaks use the cooked beef and cubed veggies.

I think the combination of mustard and sauted floured beef would be really good. If I do end up making this, I'll update the recipe.

Comments: Post a Comment

Powered by Blogger